Alive99
Veteran Member

Member Since Dec 2020
172 hugs
given
Default Jun 17, 2021 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvert View Post
The hike was good - and I do have some low effort tasks identified for when I don't feel like working on my portfolio at all. It seems like it is human nature in some way to delay doing something until it's due, doesn't it?

1. Portfolio.
2. Finish homework
3. Dishes

Cool about that.

I don't know if procrastination is human nature.

I did read once that some people are more pressure prompted and some people like to do everything by a schedule instead.

So maybe it's invididual too. Both approaches have their advantages.

And then there's a lot of other stuff that has nothing to do with human nature or individual personality either, like if you are overloaded then of course you are gonna have a harder time with it all, not feeling like doing it all

Or when you have to do something that just is harder for you than most things, or you just don't enjoy it too naturally (maybe this part is universal human nature, I don't know). By the latter I mean like, if your direction in life is not the most suitable for you, doesn't truly fit you.

Also, there is such a thing as "adaptive procrastination" vs "maladaptive procrastination". The adaptive version really just means being pressure prompted. It can save time and can be a more efficient approach for some people. The maladaptive version is what is actually procrastination and what doesn't help anyone. That is when it causes stress rather than help with saving time and increase efficiency.

And then with some things, it's the life situation rather than anything else.

So I think it is not easy for most people in some life situations, college/university being a typical example, because most people are not the academic type or even if they are, they have to study some "useless subjects" because of how someone arbitrarily put the curriculum together. Plus people going to college do not have a fully matured brain yet either (prefrontal lobe matures late) and they are learning for the first time to live alone and live their own life independently, meanwhile they are still learning to have intimate relationships too. And figuring out what they really want to do in life, their direction. Etcetera. So I think all that is a lot together to pull off. It's not even a life situation so natural like in previous centuries. So it really is typical for people in this life situation to have to procrastinate on things like exams lol.
Alive99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous 42424, hvert

Thanks for this!
TJean