Alive99
Veteran Member

Member Since Dec 2020
172 hugs
given
Default Jun 17, 2021 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtleyWilkins View Post
It is easy to burn out a friend or family member with just too much heavy stuff.

(...) trying to do so much that we get buried under someone else's issues and start feeling responsible for them
That's what I did for 4 years with that "best friend" I had. That is, the energy was drained out of me with me trying to help her so much.

As for the rest of your post. I know what to avoid. So you don't have to tell me any of that.

But I don't know what is okay to ask for from family. Friends are not relevant here as it is now, I don't have any IRL friends left.

As you can see, my thread title's about that too (how to find social support).

So, instead of the avoidance mindset, I would like to have the approach mindset here.

I know what's too much, but I don't know what I CAN ask for. What fits with the normal boundaries.

I did not know I shouldn't put so much energy in with that "best friend" (and another friend but that was less extreme thank god), exactly because I don't know from experience about what's a truly quality friendship and so yeah, I don't know what I CAN ask for. (This includes family too, like I said I don't have IRL friends left)

Especially as since cPTSD I have a problem with handling conflict, the more personal it is, the worse my ability. So I don't really want to learn the hard way always, like, if it looks like I'd have to have a fight about it if family doesn't feel like helping me with something, ....I'd rather not even ask for it.

So I'm asking here what's ok and normal to ask for.

I may not have worded my original question about this clearly enough because it sounds like I was asking about the "avoidance part", but I hope it is clear enough now. Thanks.

Last edited by Alive99; Jun 17, 2021 at 08:20 PM..

Hugs from:
Bill3

Thanks for this!
Quietmind 2