corbie

Member Since Aug 2019
65 hugs
given
Default Jun 18, 2021 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeswithhats View Post
- mentions of sh, not detailed !!

Today I had an appointment with a counselor, I’ve never had any therapy before. She was recommended to my sibling and I. I thought it was one on one counseling for the both of us but it turns out it was family counseling and she pretty much forced us to reveal personal things in front of our mom. She destroyed any trust I might have for her in the first day, she made all of my feelings worse. She didn’t care to check what our boundaries were and instantly asked about our history with cutting. We’ve been lying to our mom that we stopped cutting so we told her the same story, that we haven’t cut since we moved in (we moved in a few months back due to the loss of a family member) because we know our mom would notice unlike our past household. My sibling stopped now but has very strong urges and I haven’t stopped. The counselor says she thinks it’s strange that we could stop so suddenly and starts prying for more information. She asked us on a scale of 1 to 10 how likely we would cut tonight or be tempted to cut and to my surprise my sibling answered honestly and said 7. I didn’t know how to answer because I can’t exactly put that on a scale and also because I didn’t know if she’d believe the lie anymore and I didn’t know if it’d be better to be honest at this point but I was very uncomfortable. I said “I really don’t know how to answer” and she replied with “yeah I’m not letting you get away with that, I need an answer.” I stopped talking because I was starting to panic. She said instead of answering with a number I could just say if I’ve been tempted to cut or thought about how I could get away with it. I answered honestly and she told my mom to regularly make us remove our clothes except for underwear so she could inspect us for cuts. I was horrified, not so much about the scars but I’m very uncomfortable revealing my body and things would never be the same with my mom if she made me do that. Now I start freaking out and try to tune out the conversation. She notices and says she really wants to know what I’m thinking but I stay silent. She keeps prying and trying to get me to talk and I’m fully panicking at this point.
Wow. Like, WTF??? Yeah treating you like criminals and subjecting you to humiliating invasion of your privacy on a regular basis is surely going to improve your relationship with your mother and solve all your problems /sarcasm And that bolded part is only the tip of the iceberg. How is this person even a counselor?

Quote:
She made me want to cut even more, I don’t want to see her again or ever say anything more to her.
No kidding. I wouldn't either. Therapy would be a good idea, though, with a proper therapist. Also, not sure if this is how family conseling is supposed to go, I suspect not, but individual therapy might be better until it becomes clear what exactly needs to be addressed in family therapy? Or even group therapy.
corbie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
Quietmind 2