View Single Post
BirdieChaser

Member Since Feb 2021
Default Jun 19, 2021 at 11:07 AM

After finally getting this memory moved to the back burner for several weeks I think due to the improving Coronavirus situation and my states easing or restrictions and allowing things to move back closer to normal, I am struggling with the memory again and thinking about it often.

I think it got triggered a few weeks ago when I was putting fuel in my car. While I was swiping my credit card at the pump, a regular cab pick-up pulled up to the pump next to me. The truck was driven by a woman and there was a taller boy who looked to be in his teens in the middle, and a shorter girl who looked to be 10-12 sitting by the window. She immediately turned off the truck and then went into to convenience store while the boy and girl waited in the truck. Several minutes later when I finished fueling and drove away from the pump, the woman had still not come out of the convenience store and the boy and girl were still in the truck waiting for her to come back out and begin fueling.

For some reason, I really noticed the seating arrangement in the truck and that the boy and girl were having to spend a long time just waiting in the truck and it triggered my memories of when I was having to ride in the middle and wait in the truck with my sister. I have no idea whether the boy minded being in the middle or waiting in the truck, but I felt really bad for him. It also made me think that if mom had been able to get the truck started that day, everyone we passed would have noticed I was in the middle and my sister was by the window like I noticed how the boy and girl were sitting in that truck.

Since seeing that, the memory of when I riding in the middle and the truck wouldn't start has been pushed back to the front of my mind. I am having really vivid flashbacks to my memories of arguing with mom about having to sit in the middle; waiting for a long time in the truck with my sister for mom to come out and get in; and being stuck between my mom and sister while mom kept pumping the pedal and turning the key trying to start the truck. I am again having a hard time getting these off my mind like I did in the winter and early spring. I am sure some stress I am dealing with at work and the recent news about the Delta Variant of the Coronavirus are not helping any to get this memory off my mind.

I am not sure if seeing what I saw when I was fueling has ever been a trigger in the past for bringing the memory back into the forefront of my mind, but would expect it has at some point in the past. Especially when regular cab truck were more prevalent and more frequently used as a family's daily transportation. I know that seeing people having car trouble can frequently trigger this memory.

Would greatly appreciate any advice of things I can try to get this memory back to the back burner where I do not think of it all the time. Also, I would be interested in hearing tips for dealing with things that trigger the memory. Any advice would be appreciated and I would like to stop thinking about it.
BirdieChaser is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, RoxanneToto