View Single Post
Kalm

Member Since Jul 2021
2 hugs
given
Default Jul 02, 2021 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliebrown1979 View Post
I'm 42 and have avpd. After so many rejections from people and my family I've finally decided to accept this illness as who i am and I'm gonna stop being social because it hurts. Its beyond therapy to get better, these traits and behavior are engrained in my mind. I have all symptoms. When I'm around peolple i want to run away from them as soon as possible, i only feel comfortable with myself. I have the social maturity of a child. I'm way too inhibited to have conversations, friends or girlfriends. Even after a few drinks its the same thing. When I'm rejected or criticized its fustrating and hurtful beyond words, it makes me want to hide from the world. I thought about making face to face avpd friends but that proble won't work either. I'm done trying, at least i won't be hurt anymore. I'm totally paranoid of people and i see them as potential enemies unless they show me right away that they like me. I've always worked alone and always will. I would like to chat if anyone is interested.

I think a close relative has avpd. I’m trying to understand and help him. I hope this helps you.

You are not alone.

I believe it’s very difficult to conquer avpd by yourself. And, social situations are hard.

Don’t give up on therapy. You can reduce your symptoms, but it’s not easy. It takes time. Medication may also help you manage your symptoms but be careful of side effects.

Not every therapist is good. You may need different approaches. Don’t give up. It is frustrating.

You may think you have the social maturity of a child. Or, you may be scared to have conversations. Those are different things. You may need practice. You may be overwhelmed with fear and paranoia. Maybe identify the reason for the fear and paranoia—but explain it to someone, talk to someone, a professional who will help you work through it. That’s their job. Not every therapist has enough experience with avpd. So, if one therapist doesn’t help you, get a new one. Therapists know that if their patient is struggling or if their treatment plan isn’t working, they will or should refer to someone else.

I’m not a therapist. I’m just someone who has struggled with my own problems.
Kalm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Bill3

Thanks for this!
Bill3