Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2014
1,758 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 07, 2021 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvert View Post
I'm feeling the 'have fun now' pressure because I am worried about restrictions coming back when Delta starts spreading like crazy here.

There are so many conflicting reports. I saw the articles @Discombobulated mentioned about mRNA providing long-lasting immunity, even against Delta, no boosters required. Then the other day I saw that Pfizer seems 64% effective against Delta. Singapore came out with a similar report (and has mostly used mRNA). Is immunity waning or is Delta different enough or some combination of the two? Why are those results so different from the study that showed long lasting immunity?

I am also worried because a close family member will not get vaccinated. He suggests it's due to conspiracy theory type reasons, but I believe it's really due to needle phobia. I don't know how to convince him.

@rechu I am impressed the chief of staff is resigning! This pandemic has shown how the rich and powerful live very different lives compared to the rest of us. A US conservative Christian conference sounds like a super spreader event. If they don't even care about exposing their own baby to that, they couldn't care anything about the health of strangers. I was interested to see articles this morning stating that the Russian Orthodox church is strongly encouraging the vaccine.
@hvert,

The needle is incredible thin and no painful at all.
The problem is that he has already probably seen on TV the fact of the injections being administrated and if he already has a problem with needles is more than enough for him.
I would do what @Discombobulated told you. Supporting him. Accompany him. I’m sure they won’t put you any problem in doing it if you explain it and then, if he cannot get it. It’s ok. No matter. Let him know that it’s not a problem. He has a justification.

You, guys, in the States, will probably reach herd immunity soon. I guess people who have trouble with needles have a justification.

Ask him only for giving the step to go although maybe he feels embarrassed if he can’t get it. I also can understand it.

In cases like this I completely excuse people who can’t face to be vaccinated. As much as we may see it as even less than a mosquito’s bite, for them is like a torture.

Mankind is complex: Make deserts blossom and lakes die. ( GIL SCOTT-HERSON)