View Single Post
lovableball
lovableball Trying to be happier :)

2 yr Member
28 hugs
given
Default Jul 08, 2021 at 06:52 AM

Hi @NeedHelp104, I know it's been a minute but I've been binging through these forums recently. That's a pretty rough situation to be in and I can fully understand your pain in a way. I had a similar traumatic experience in the academe. I was part of the honors roll for an Ivy League school and was honestly running for Valedictorian, but one professor sabotaged my chance because of personal issues. He failed me during my first semester of senior year, thus erasing all the progress I've ever made since 1st year. I went into a very deep spiral of depression and I ended up dropping out completely. I felt like that was the lowest point of my life too.

I was similar to you in so many ways, I only had one friend–who was studying for a different degree and we couldn't meet that often. I would be fully immersed in my studies and do nothing but that. I get what you feel because we were in a similar position 10 years ago. I fought tooth and nail for that Business Economics degree that sometimes, still haunts me. I was 21 at the time, unfinished, lost, and unequivocally depressed. But as much as I hate these optimistic three words: it gets better.

The academe can only equip you with so many skills, it can just get you through doors and interviews–but it doesn't land you the job. Ultimately, that piece of paper was not the sole definition of my entire being. I ended up taking up another course where I graduated at 28 with a degree I didn't know I would love (European Studies).

You're young and still full of potential, and that 3.91 GPA is a testament to that. This world and culture your generation has built are filled with so many opportunities. I'm not going to try and stir you towards false positivity though. I know it's hard; you probably feel robbed and drained. Talk to people on this forum, I also personally use BetterHelp (an app affiliated with this forum) because no amount of investment is too much for your mental health. When your mind is in a tough spot; every other part of you falters. I wish nothing but the best for you.

If you're looking for things to keep you occupied, try to take up a monetizable hobby. If you're artistic in any way, you can create arts and crafts that you can sell on Etsy, you can enter the writing industry for that falls within your degree, you can also go down the hard lane of e-commerce or something as lucrative as selling on Shopify–you just need to read through guides and other online resources similar to articles like this to get you started.

I believe in you stranger, you can do this. Reach out if things get too heavy, we'll share the load with you. xoxo
lovableball is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
RoxanneToto