View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 14, 2021 at 05:12 AM

Hi Mountaindewed. In answer to your question, I did have different mental health challenges crop up a few to four years after my bipolar diagnosis. One in particular was agoraphobia. That was, however, not to be a permanent diagnosis like bipolar disorder is. Therapy did eventually help, but it was a struggle. I know how difficult it can be finding "the right" therapist, and found that such a person can change over time. One that really helped me 8 years ago, would not necessarily be "the right one" now. Sometimes we have to give current ones a fair shake. Other times the search must go on.

I can't know how much your hormonal chaos is playing a role in your current challenges. I'd assume a lot. Just being a woman I have seen how hormones affect my mood. Being close to (or in) perimenopause seems to exacerbate it. Your unique situation must be both a major physical and psychological adjustment, even as you make the transition that I assume gives you piece of mind, in a major way. It is indeed a major change. One I assume will become easier with time.

You know that many here, including myself, are very concerned for you. Again, my advice is to be 100% honest with your doctors about your physical and psychological reactions. Also, it's crucial you follow treatment to the T. Though the urge to experiment on your own is hard to control, you must stop such behavior. I truly truly know this from experience and realize it can be easier said than done. Doctor recommendations aren't always perfect, but they are the experts. If you think more or less of some med might be helpful, do discuss this with them. They can veto ideas, but if they do it's crucial to know why. This is especially important with psych meds. Finding the perfect balance of things is a task, but can only be found with prescribed consistency.
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
WovenGalaxy