Grand Magnate

Member Since Oct 2019
11.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 15, 2021 at 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rechu View Post
@Discombobulated - Our borders were semi-closed before Delta appeared and still are so, which has helped. There were those two cases of positive people getting out of doing the hotel quarantine recently. I know "patient zero", as they call her, infected a few family members. However a wider outbreak in that town, which was feared, does not seem to be materializing. It's the same with the other family. In that case the positive case was a baby, so he or she is probably not out and about spreading it around."Patient zero" is being charged with violating the health code and is prohibited from going back to the US, where she lives. She is from here but emigrated to Miami.

I read that recently another 10 cases have been detected in arriving passengers and they are being isolated in an infectious disease hospital ward. There was another Chilean that came in from Armenia soon after the first case and it was also detected upon arrival. After those first two screw-ups, I think the authorities decided that they needed to get more serious about it.

I hope it works. We already had the Manaus variant tear through here like wildfire a few months back. That was when cases hit 8,000 a day. We don't need a Delta wave.
I hope it will stay this way for you - it sounds like the border controls are much better than here.

In the UK in the spring our government took a long time to decide India should become a red list country (red list have strict designated hotel quarantine upon arrival which costs each person several thousand pounds, Amber list is a much looser private agreement quarantine which no one checks you've done!) when they finally announced that India would be Red list (bearing in mind all South American countries have been Red listed since last year!) They gave a months notice, understandably many people took the opportunity to travel in that time, many UK people are Indian descent. So around 100,000 people arrived from India with only a very loose quarantine agreement and some of those will have not done it all.

Our government got the borders wrong in the 1st wave and again with Delta. Incredible stupidity.