Grand Magnate

Member Since Feb 2014
172 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 17, 2021 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDMercer View Post
I carried a lot of the responsibility for a long time.

I'm in therapy to just vent. After 2 years, I don't know if it helped. Maybe focused on the negative too much.

Our oldest is in HS. A few months ago he said, I think you think you aren't much of a man because mom gets so angry at you. But I've seen you take her anger for long stretches, maybe hours, say little back, then be fully there for her when she needed you if she got really sick an hour later. You have more emotional control and you're more of a man than anyone I know. And you spent time with us, did homework with us, made meals, whatever, since years.

LAST NIGHT, youngest kid voiced how cranky mom is with us lately, and how much time she spends with her new friends. I said, well, mom was stuck home for a long time. She needs friends. I also said, "Mom is cranky at me, not you. I haven't been very emotionally supportive lately."

Kid said, "I've been alone a lot since kindergarten, and now she's feeling better, I'm still alone." Kid also said, "Maybe mom is like this because you aren't there for her enough, butDad, you do a lot. You work. You fix the house and the cars. You take us to sports or just to get out of the house, you drove me to school everyday. You cook. Maybe mom gets to have friends, but she could help you some too. You can't do everything and still, like, be there for her all the time too. I don't think she should be cranky at you."

I've never said a word to them about this stuff.

I'm floored today. Just floored. The kid that said that is yooooung.

That being said, the words that are in my mind aren’t mine to say. I can say it doesn’t look your wife is participating in your marriage and I would agree that she is behaving narcissistically. Have you heard the term codependent?
leomama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote