sarahsweets has no updates.

5 yr Member
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 21, 2021 at 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WovenGalaxy View Post
I want to distance myself greatly, from a friend. I'm not sure if I want to completely cut it off at this point. I just know that every conversation, every communication we have lately, he says hurtful things to me that affect me. He does not mean to be hurtful. But he is. And my needs in the friendship are not getting met. There have been lots of times he just says things, that are...really hurtful. Yes, I've tried talking to him. Multiple times. The thing is, he's not going to change, because it keeps happening over and over, and I feel that if I bring things up that upset me, each time he says something that hurts me, he will get angry and feel like I'm a nag. He has said certain things in the past that made me feel that way as well.

I recognize that I am sensitive, and easily swayed, and some of these things he says probably would not bother some other people. But they bother me. And I'm sick of apologizing for who I am, how I'm affected, and my biological make-up.

Here's some of the things I've been really hurt by:

1.) I told him about an interview I had coming up and a senior companion / caregiver. He was extremely discouraging in a way that was not solicited. I wasn't asking him. But he said "how much responsibility do you want?" It was clearly about him and his own preferences and I think it was projection. But it really also made me doubt myself and the job.

2.) He called me ugly. He was trying to make a point about something else and used my looks as an example. Yes, it was ****ed up. And the way he thinks is ****ed up. I called him out about it. But I was also "really concerned about his feelings" because I figured he would get mad at me. He doesn't like being criticized. I recognize how ****ed up this is.

There's a lot of other things but you know what? I'm not going to write them all out. I'm done. I'm just not sure how to do this. Like how to end it. I honestly may text him.

Note: he's extremely pushy in his opinions, talks to me like he's a teacher (he tries to impress with his knowledge) and he talks a lot...

The last exchange we had, was him texting me saying hi, and saying all the stuff he's doing, and I responded with a "hi back," a "good to hear from you," and all the stuff I'm doing, and he responded "sounds exhausting! lolol" He did also say he was glad that I was having fun. I don't know why this **** bothers me but it does. Maybe he just is not the right friend for me. Maybe it was the straw that broke my back. HE is the one who is exhausting. I've been wanting to distance myself for about a week - since he said the discouraging things about my interview.

We have been very close in the past (we have been friends for about 2 years now, and these are not just issues that have come up only recently, they've been there a while), and I care about him a lot. When we talk on the phone, it usually lasts an hour or two. But I can't do this anymore. I need to protect myself.

I think I will be direct. Either in a text, or by phone. I want to say it in a way that reflects my integrity. I don't want to say something like "you have been hurtful to me a lot, and therefore I'm leaving our friendship." That would be almost like a punishment type thing, and I do not want him to feel like I'm punishing him.

I will figure out a way to say it. But yeah. Input is welcome, just please don't criticize me for being sensitive / taking things certain ways. There is a small part of me, too, that wants to stay friends. I was thinking about him today, earlier, and thinking "I want to distance but stay friends." But I'm pretty done right now.

I’m a huge proponent of phone conversations for serious conversations. However if you feel like you will be hurt more or not heard a text is OK as well. Remember you owe it to yourself to have friends that reciprocate your feelings. Technically you don’t owe him anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

President of the no F's given society.

Hugs from:
WovenGalaxy

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated, RoxanneToto