underdog is here

Member Since Sep 2011
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 01, 2021 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atisketatasket View Post
I find Info most useful when she lets me rant or otherwise get things away from me. Generally speaking her responses are not useful or helpful, though she occasionally surprises me. She is just a bit more effective as a listener than a cat or a wall.

I don’t know if that is exactly what you mean by talking, though. Do you mean conversation? The exchange of ideas? Validation?

ETA: I would actually not be surprised if therapists had any real idea (that would satisfy someone as logical and fact-oriented as yourself) how therapy helped, precisely.
Ranting about my person's illness was one useful thing because it didn't matter what the therapist thought or was feeling and I could just tell her to stop saying idiotic things unlike people I actually care about when they said stupid things about it.
I did not particularly find the therapist validating but I wasn't looking for that. I am not certain I could say the woman was more effective than my cat.

I appreciate the responses but if what is being described is all those people are selling - it would not have been something I ever tried if they had explained what you all are describing.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
Oscar Wilde
Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
stopdog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
atisketatasket, here today, LonesomeTonight, Quietmind 2, WarmFuzzySocks