Magnate

Member Since Oct 2018
7 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 02, 2021 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
This is a real question I have - for those of you who feel therapy is useful - do you know how it helps? Sitting and talking to a stranger made no sense to me and I have no idea how it was supposed to help. It didn't but I don't know what was supposed to be going on. I asked the therapist and she just flat lied and said she did not know.
I went into therapy primarily to have an objective set of eyes on my depression and other symptoms. I knew that at the time, I probably wasn't always as self-aware as I needed to be, and I didn't feel comfortable putting that kind of burden (not quite the right word maybe) on people in my personal life.

I found therapy to be about more than just talking. I talk all day, but therapy was more about verbalizing what was going on inside me that I normally wouldn't talk about. Getting those unspoken thoughts out of my head and into objective ears (meaning a person with no personal stake in my life), was cleansing to me. It was sort of like a relief valve on a pressure cooker.

Having the added benefit of those objective ears being someone who had training in psychology, gave me a person who could help direct me toward insight for those unspoken thoughts, so they weren't just a tangled mess of thoughts anymore. It helped me untangle them and make some sense of them because, for me, they were so voluminous and overwhelming, I didn't know where to start on my own.

Over time, I got better at being able to read and understand my thoughts and untangle them on my own, and eventually I worked my way out of needing those objective eyes to help me.
ArtleyWilkins is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, Quietmind 2, WarmFuzzySocks