Favorite Jeans
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2013
1,825 hugs
given
Default Aug 06, 2021 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
"The dismaying truth about psychotherapy is that sometimes it just isn’t very effective despite the therapists best intentions and extensive training. Overall, outcome research gives quite pessimistic results, suggesting that only 60% of clients benefit from therapy, and 15-24% of adolescents leave therapy in a worse state than when they started (Lambert)."
Dismaying as it may seem, a success rate of 60% is actually pretty amazing when it comes to treating any kind of human ailment. If a new drug were successful in treating 60% of patients or if it ameliorated symptoms by an average of 60% it would be hailed as a major breakthrough. With respect to harm, a number needed to harm of 4-6 is not that unusual in any type of treatment.

The other question is whether those 15-24% who are worse post-therapy are being compared to a no-treatment control group. (ie were they harmed by therapy or is the natural progression of the condition that a subgroup of its sufferers worsens? What if the no treatment group is 30-40% worse after the same period elapsed?)

As you no doubt know, I fully believe that therapy has the potential to harm. My experience is that there are many people of very questionable competence practicing therapy. I also question, as was brought up in recent thread, whether therapists have a “first do no harm” ethic. As a profession, I don’t think they truly grasp the tremendous potential of a normal, average therapist to cause harm in discharging their duties (like leaving out therapists who are overtly unethical or abusive).

Still, as a stats/epi nerd, I’d argue that the study you cite actually supports psychotherapy as a reasonable treatment modality.
Favorite Jeans is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Quietmind 2