View Single Post
MuseumGhost
Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2012
12.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 12, 2021 at 09:33 PM

Let's be honest: The whole concept of an Online Forums where there are a thousand other people struggling with mental health issues can be a daunting thing. Feeling like opening up, and getting started on the forums, can take awhile.

There's the chance that vulnerable people can be hurt more deeply by some bad behaviours, and if they receive that on another (not this) forum, it's unlikely they'll take a chance on another site. Who wants to get hurt, over and over again? It happened to me, and I was exceedingly wary when I first arrived here, after experiencing some disturbing stuff (that was not handled well by the Mod team) on another site.

It left its mark.

Turtle Rider, you made a valid point about the name change from Psych Central to MySupportForums. It's good that they have at least kept many of the same features that make this a safe place to share.

I do drop in and out of here; sometimes I'm gone for months on end. But I am always relieved to see it's still active and functioning well, & still helping people, when I return. And happy to see some of the same old faces, and feel welcomed back.

And, Skeezyks; I am always a little hesitant taking on newbies because I've been burned a few times. But they do get a fair shake from older members here, if they're honest and willing to try and help themselves, I think. It takes awhile for many people to get over deep trust issues. I know it has, for me. It takes tremendous courage to bare your soul to people, and tenacity and a kind of strength that not everyone has, at first, or even consistently and predictably.

People leave or stop posting because much of what is shared is repetitive, by its very nature. That kind of goes along with the scene.

Just some thoughts on the topic.

Last edited by MuseumGhost; Aug 12, 2021 at 09:45 PM..
MuseumGhost is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote