amandalouise
Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
887 hugs
given
Default Aug 14, 2021 at 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottrustin View Post
Does anybody know what a therapist holding space for a client mean? 2 weeks ago during my appointment I felt very defensive and because we were discussing some frustrations with my husband, I felt lije she was takinf my husbands side. I actually thought od say "hey you are supposed to be on my side.l" but was able to realize it was mot about sides. The inly other time I felt this way with her is when she was using CBT on a day thay I was a emotional wreck because my child had something life changing happen..

So after the appointment I sent her an email askinf if ahe was utilizing CBT because the only time I had ever been that frustrated was when she had used CBT. Also that I had wanted to mention feeling like he was on hubby's side vs mine but knew better. I was trying to figure out my reaction because it not how I normally am.

She didn't respond which was really ok. She doesn't always so I didnt think anything of it. Fast forward to this weeks appointmentt. She looked different at the beginning of the appointment. We both said hi and asked how the other was doing. Then she said she did not reply to my text. I told her I knew that but it was really okay. She then told me she could not hold that space for me. She felt bad for not responding. Again I told her not to because I knew this might have been too much for texting or even a quick phone check in and that really I was trying to process my reaction. She repeated that I was teying
fixyre my reaction. We then talked about how she was not using CBT and what her intent was. She cold also understand why it could have made me feel defensive given all the stress that is happening in my life. The rest of the session went as normal.

Afterwards I was curious about her reaction and relized in the text I never actually said I was trying to figure out my reaction so I could understand her misinterpreting my message. However, I still dont understand what she meant by being unable to hold that space for me. We are both on vacation next week so there will not be an appointment. I almost texted her apologizing for my part in the misinterpretation but decided to let it go until our next appointment.

Does anybody know what her statement about holding space meant?
only your therapist knows what she meant when she said she couldnt hold that space. maybe you can ask her.

based on your post and the context that you posted it in to me it says she couldnt find time to write an email back to you.

in my own therapy sessions theres two meanings for holding space...

the first one is about scheduling time... when my therapist is very busy and I need her time and attention she may text back to me something like "call you at such and such time" or "sorry cant hold any space in my schedule for you right now call office and schedule an appointment for later this week"

The second meaning is taking a break from therapy or taking a break, time to take a deep breath , close eyes do a calming breathing exercise so that I can think more clearly.

in various therapies holding space means different things.

my suggestion is ask your therapist what she meant. its ok to ask when they use therapy terms you are not familiar with.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote