View Single Post
The_little_didgee
Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2013
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 22, 2021 at 03:16 PM

My very last admission was particularly traumatic. The psychiatrist I dealt with was invalidating and abrupt. After that admission I vowed to stay away from psychiatric services. - I later refused 4 hospitalizations, because of this one particular experience.

In his discharge summary there is no mention of my race. However his charting was inconsistent with the brief visit. Apparently he offered to refer me to the Acute Day Hospital which he never discussed and I met with a medical student and resident. Actually I met him and a nurse (who I can name) in the visitor's lounge. All he did was review medication and refer me to a social worker to access community services and discharge me. There was no other discussion.

In this document he mentions another staff psychiatrist and the hospital's patient representative, a service I was unaware of at the time. Apparently I made a complaint to the patient representative, who contacted the department chief psychiatrist who spoke to this doctor. He wrote the following:

"The patient met with the patient representative following discharge with whom I discussed the care offered to her and also with Dr. (unknown). I also had a call from a resident with the patient having threatened suicide over the phone to the patient representative. There has been no follow-up visits through our Emergency Room at the time of this dictation."

The problem with this is major. I'm not the patient he wrote about. He mixed me up with another young lady. I never complained to a patient representative about the care I got, nor did I discuss this admission with any staff member. I certainly never threatened suicide over the phone. - Another example of cognitive bias, specifically related to the BPD label, which he wrote beside Axis II.

Reading this document angered me. It demonstrates how much power these people have and how easily an error can perpetuate discrimination, etc...

This particular doctor tried to blacklist me from the hospital, all because of the BPD diagnosis. He wasn't successful, since the hospital doesn't allow that.

I'm going to ask the hospital to investigate this for the sake of correction. I may contact CPSO.

Always check. Verify. You deserve quality care.

Last edited by The_little_didgee; Aug 22, 2021 at 03:51 PM..
The_little_didgee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear, RoxanneToto