Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 26, 2021 at 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethRags View Post
Are there any of you who have bipolar disorder and take an antidepressant (or have taken one)?
There are many theories about whether bp people should take ad's or not. IMO for me, a mood stabilizer, ad and anxiety med have been key to my recovery. 6 months ago I would have said an antipsychotic as well but I have learned the horrors of TD and now I feel completely different about anti-psychs. I dont know if this is true or not or if science backs me up but my experience has been that in particular people with BPII do well on a cocktail that includes an ad but I also believe that not just any AD will do. I think SSRI's are the harshest for bipolar people but thats not to say they do not work. My experience is that for whatever reason SNRI's and tricyclics seem to be better ad choices for bipolar people because they target more areas of the brain. They are less likely to cause mania than a standard ssri and when used in a good cocktail balance things out rather well. I was hopsitalized for post pardon psychosis and a bipolar episode when my last child was barely 2 months old. They put me on cymbalta and lamitcal and i swear in 4 days I was a new person. I know they say it takes like 4 weeks for an ad but it was litterally 4 days for me.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, bizi

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, unaluna