Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 02, 2021 at 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelinglady View Post
I don't know about it. Where would the government get all that money? And the U.S. is already having a great deal of trouble hiring people for low-wage jobs like food servers, because of unemployment money for COVID, I think.
I hear w. hat you are saying but I do not think the unemployment money or extensions are keeping people from working. I dont know about your state but in nj there is a maximum amount you can get and thats it. So even if you are a laid off ceo making 8 figures you still max out just the same as John Doe the baker. Years and years ago in 08 when everything collapsed my husband was in his last year of journeyman's school. He did 3 years of teledata and transferred to journeyman for another 4 years. With apprentices you have a set scale. When he started at that time 1st years started at 12$ an hour (in 2000) my husband graduated with a geology degree and worked for environmental consultants. His dreams of living on the edge of a volcano were fleeting because very few average science majors actually get to study their dreams. Reality was science grads worked for firms doing semi-unethical work. So summer of 08 he graduated and he was to earn his full rate of 45$/per hour. That first month was like a dream. We had just bought the house and thought we could breathe a sign of relief. We knew we werent rich and we have always have been careful but the idea of not worrying was so wonderful. Fast forward to the crash and he was out of work for almost a year and 3 months. At that time the max benefit was 575 a week. That was the top tier. I couldnt believe that anyone thought a family of 5 could live on that. My disability was 700/month. We nearly lost the house.

The pandemic is an situation that was poo-pood by most every one until they saw the ripple effect and how it started with a virus and morphed into a life situation that was crippling families. So i think it was an extra 300$ from the feds for a bit. Some states gave some extra too.
So lets say a person gets 550/week and an extra 300$ from the feds. So roughly 3400 gross dollars a month. Not sure how much was taken out for taxes. So using the standard( outdated and not adjusted for inflation) a family of 5 making about 31k is impoverished- not just poor but poverty, 3400 a month means your raking in a whopping 40k a year (no tax taken out yet) 40k a year for 3 kids/2 adults is very poor. Working poor. It is a myth imo that people are staying home willingly to just reap all the riches rather than take a job. It is a myth spun by certain people to perpetuate the sterotype that people needing assistance are really just lazy people that want a handout. Cause ya know that 40k is a life of luxury. Its just letting old uncle sam take care of you while you ignore job searches and eat bon bons on the sofa. And the assistance has already run out or cut off for many. But screw those lazy people. They just need to get up and take care of themselves and if they cant? OH WELL.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Travelinglady

Thanks for this!
Travelinglady