View Single Post
hvert
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jan 2014
3,785 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 06, 2021 at 09:57 AM

Diabetes is depressing. I don't know why I never gave it any thought before. My father had it but I assumed that was related to his lifestyle. Now I learn that quite a few in his family had it or were warned about it. His father was fanatical about what he ate and now I realize it was because he was pre-diabetic. My mother doesn't have it, but quite a few of her family members did. Why did I never even wonder if it would happen to me? I guess ignorance is bliss.

I got a continuous glucose monitor. I wear a sensor in my arm and can see what my blood sugar is at any moment without pricking myself. It is amazing and will help me figure out what does/doesn't affect me. I will be testing pizza soon! However, I also worry it will contribute to disordered eating. I get upset when I see my sugar go up after eating, even though it's normal, so I don't want to eat.

@possum220 fwiw, I've brought my numbers down eating low carb, lower-glycemic foods. About 60-120 carbs per day which come from beans or vegetables rather than grains. Keto doesn't really work for me because I don't eat meat. I feel like I am eating too much fat right now and will probably need to stop that since my cholesterol was also off the charts. It's very hard to get good information on diabetes, seems like there's so many divergent opinions. I also wonder if the low calorie diet I'm on contributes to the lower blood sugar numbers. I have a fantasy that if I lose weight, I can go back to eating bread and pizza.
hvert is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote