10.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 14, 2021 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever2013 View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

@downandlonely:

Yes, i have tried DBT twice. But it was DBT Day Hospitals as we call them here in Canada, it's PHP or IOP in The States. The group-format was too intense. One i quit after three weeks as they all hated me and said i used big words and one i got kicked out of after two weeks because i got hypo-manic. I feel DBT is just a bunch of gimmicks anyways, a bunch of mnemonics. I've read about it a lot. I haven't tried an individual DBT therapist but up here i fall thru the cracks, not poor enough to qualify for a free therapist and not rich enough to be able to afford one i'd pay myself. Anyways, i've had a referral for a psychiatrist who also does therapy (the only way i could get therapy covered by our mediocre public plan) in play for about six months, they are few-and-far-between. It could be another six months and then who is to say i could get along with the person? I've been harmed by therapists in the past so it's probably futile to retry therapy. I feel that only love kills the demon. I have people that love me now and i am feeling much better and when they demonstrate that love over and over i feel healing taking place. I'm glad DBT worked for your mom and that others find it useful but it's not for me. I've just started with an online support group in my city and that's helpful. I like peer support over professional support.

I prefer peer support too. I haven't done individual therapy in years. But lately I became a facilitator for the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) support groups.
downandlonely is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous41462, bizi

Thanks for this!
bizi