View Single Post
hvert
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jan 2014
3,785 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 18, 2021 at 08:00 AM

Geez, I hadn't heard that each shot increases the risk of myocarditis. I am really not interested in a booster unless I really need it and that doesn't seem certain. Side effects from shot 2 sucked and I've read side effects from shot 3 are worse. I had Moderna which had triple the dose of Pfizer so hopefully that has me covered for a little longer. If I worked in a hospital or was older or had some other health issues, a third dose might be worth it, but I feel like it would be wasted on me right now. Giving people their first shot of vaccine will do more good than passing out a third dose to the general population imo. If people here don't want them, start sending them out. The wasted doses bother me.

The issue with measles is that some areas no longer are at herd immunity levels. Measles is really contagious so 95% of people need the vaccine for it to stop spreading. I have a vague memory that some spots in the northeast were seeing outbreaks when 10% of the kids in the school system weren't vaccinated. I also wonder how long those vaccines last? Like we have to redo the TDAP shot every ten years or so. I just googled and tetanus, diptheria, and pertussis are all bacteria. Maybe virus vaccines work differently.

I would like to see more research on long haul + breakthrough + long covid. I know of one person who had a breakthrough and who would technically be long haul because her symptoms lasted more than a month, but she was steadily improving.

It is funny how we categorize risk for ourselves. Crowded spaces like bars or restaurants sketch me out, as do large outdoor gatherings, like music festivals. I skipped an outdoor BBQ this week because I didn't want to mingle while people were eating. I probably stop in a store or see someone one on one more days than not at this point and don't worry about that. Another friend was horrified I was going to a masked indoor event last week with more than ten people, but he works in an environment I would consider high risk. I'm not looking forward to this winter when meeting friends outside is a less appealing option.

It's frustrating to still be living in fear after all this time. I guess the more we stay at home, the more we reduce the spread. The risk to us as vaccinated individuals is probably lower than it feels like it is emotionally.

Thanks for this!
Rose76