View Single Post
stellablue51119

Member Since Oct 2021
4 hugs
given
Default Oct 03, 2021 at 11:34 PM

@Jawshx I can relate to what you are going through! My husband has bi polar 2, depression, ADHD, and PTSD. We have been together for 12 years and married for 3 years. It is not easy being the partner to someone with bi polar and like you I also struggle with depression and anxiety. Bi polar is a tough illness and it is different for everyone, but a few things you mentioned are very common for people with bi bolar.
Money- money mismanagement is a huge part of bi polar. My husbands father died years ago and my husband was only 19 when he died. He received a large chunk of money and he spent it like CRAZY. He bough a sports car, bought things for family, etc. We were not married at the time, and he paid his half of the bills, so I did not have much say. I did not think he had spent as much as he did though, and he really beats himself up over the dumb choices he made and how much savings we could of had...... but erratic spending/choices can be part of the bipolar mind (especially during an episode). My husband now gives me complete control over most of our finances because he is aware its smarter. I don't control his money though at all, he gets his paycheck and just sends the money for bills to me and I just manage that for us.

Space- I love my husband dearly and he is such a good person, but we have had to do a lot of work to keep our relationship working. His bipolar has not been easy for him or for me and he is aware of that. There have been countless times that he has pushed me away completely, shuts down, or just leaves. When he gets upset and angry the best thing to do is give him space. It was very hard for me to learn this because I am opposite. I get so emotional, I want to talk about everything right then and there, I take everything personally, and I get loud. If I don't give him space and time when things get super heated and hes asking for space, it can turn into a very bad fight and horrible things can be said, things broken,etc. Giving him space and time does not mean we ignore the issue, we just go back and talk about the issue when we are both in a comfortable head space.

Your partner did not choose to be bipolar, its not an excuse for any type of bad behavior, but if you love him and want a lasting relationship..... be empathetic! Also take care of yourself, make sure your mental health does not fall to the back burner. Make sure your partner has good support, a psychiatrist and/or therapist, takes proper medication, and stays in good routine. Remember, there are always going to be highs and lows with bipolar and life changing or even small things can spark episodes. Its not easy, but for me its worth it because I get to spend every day with my best friend and the love of my life
stellablue51119 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote