View Single Post
Yaowen
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jan 2020
6,475 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 10, 2021 at 01:38 PM

I have also fallen into some bad habits since the SARS-CoVID pandemic so my heart goes out to you. Lately I have been eating some unhealthy foods and gaining unwanted weight.

Something that helps me is to try and do a little something each day to fight my bad habits. Fighting bad habits has an aspect like a battle and an aspect like a war. One cannot win a war in a day. Sometimes one has be content to win battles.

Sometimes I lose a battle against a bad habit but I try not to beat myself up over it. In a war there will be battles that will be lost, bad days, misfortunes, reversals. I think that as long as one keeps fighting it is something very noble and heroic.

Something that also helps me is to put things into perspective.

There are bad actions and then there are BAD actions. A couple of men in the last 100 years caused the destruction of tens of millions of people through genocide and campaigns of forced starvation. I am thinking of men like Hitler and Stalin. Now that is something really bad.

Although having some bad habits is not a good thing, it is not nearly as bad as causing genocide. But one can easily lose perspective and start to feel guilt for things, guilt that is not appropriate to the level of one's not so good actions.

Today I ate an entire bag of potato chips. I felt very bad about it and started to beat myself up mentally. But then I put my action into perspective. Eating a whole bag of chips is not good. But it is far, far, far, far, far less awful than causing the Holocaust, like Hitler did.

On the scale of good and bad, eating too many chips is a small thing. Since I suffer from depression, it easy for me to experience inappropriate levels of guilt over things. That is part of depression.

If I fail at something, I also try to balance it out that very same day by trying to do something good.

Today after failing to control my appetite, I gave some food to some ants that live by my house. I put some food by an ant hill and watched the little ants carry it into their ant colony.

Winter is coming and the ants will soon have to live out the winter on the food they have stored. So I gave a little help to them, my brother and sister creatures. And now I don't feel so bad about the chips I ate.

Some days when I have failed at something, I will just come onto these Forums and offer a little support to those who, like me, are struggling. Sometimes one can transmute failure into success.

I hope you find something that helps you. I can totally relate to body shame. It is something that afflicts me too, so I feel for you. Sorry that I don't know how to be helpful. It is so hard to be really helpful to people who are struggling. I wish you only the very best!
Yaowen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
mote.of.soul, SprinkL3

Thanks for this!
mote.of.soul, SprinkL3