junkDNA endless ocean landing on an endless desert

10 yr Member
8,149 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 13, 2021 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrademoomoo View Post
For me, understanding the context for my delusions was a crucial part of developing my ability to regain a shared reality - the opposite of a slippery slope. It was not about indulging a deeper or hidden meaning, but rather asking what the delusion was representing and what resonance did that have for me.

For example, I believed my medication contained nanotechnology which was being used by nefarious administrators to track my behaviour as part of a larger plan to control the population. Convincing me otherwise was pointless. Working with me about what this delusion represents - my lack of control, my bodily boundaries being intruded upon, violations by authority figures - uncovered how I was stuck with the trauma of real life sexual exploitation from a medical professional.

It's quite common practice to accept that a delusion has some seed of reality and working with that seed is what re-roots reality (torturous metaphor, sorry). I am sure this approach wouldn't be helpful for everyone and obviously many therapists aren't up to the work of it, but I feel strongly that it was life changing for me. When I experience symptoms now, I can look for the seed and it helps. Ignoring, dismissing or otherwise discounting the delusion doesn't help me.
I think if psychosis is related to trauma then yeah that can be helpful. But many people with psychosis don't have symptoms related to some sort of trauma. I was sexually abused by my teenage therapist among other things and I found that some of my symptoms were trauma related but some just weren't and it wasn't helpful to try to pin that down with some sort of reasoning

Hugs from:
LonesomeTonight

Thanks for this!
atisketatasket, LonesomeTonight, Quietmind 2