View Single Post
NatalieJastrow
Veteran Member

Member Since Aug 2020
261 hugs
given
Default Oct 14, 2021 at 06:35 PM

Kind of an old thread but I think I have changed my mind on this.. after the pandemic

1. Something that I think is becoming clear now is that there are lots of crap jobs that, frankly aren't really necessary. Do we really need one more McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts? No and people don't want to work in these jobs because they don't really offer sufficient benefits. Sometimes it seems like a vicious circle... the only reason we need McDonalds or D and D is that we have to get up early to work and don't have time to make breakfast at home.

2. Looking into it... truthfully people of the past really expected revolutions in manufacturing etc.. to free people from needing to work at all. And lets ask, do we really need to work? People suffered and died in order so what we didn't have to work. That was always the goal... so people could free themselves from chores of life. Now we have the tools to do that and we still stubbornly work like dogs, mostly with jobs that, lets face it... don't really need to be done!

3. It is only the culture of work that is making us work. There are many other countries that have drastically cut back on hours and given more vacation time... and, it works for them.

I feel like it isn't going to happen soon because there is a generation that won't allow it because they worked there whole lives but, as it goes on, I think people will be pushing this more. I truly think the vaccination mandate hit the people who generally will be the first to say "no" to this and now they are thinking about it. They don't want to be in a position where their employer can make crazy demands and they have no options. I mean a lot of the people I talk to say one shot isn't that bad but what will be the next demand?
NatalieJastrow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
nonightowl