View Single Post
bpforever1
Magnate

Member Since Aug 2017
1,598 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 17, 2021 at 01:05 AM

I have been studying and going over my courses. I like reading and writing. I am learning a lot.

I dropped out of high school when I was 15 years old. I returned to school after passing my GED and eventually taking the SATs. I learned more by myself though than from my going to school. My experiences have been part of my education. I am mostly self-taught.

I love reading and writing. I also enjoy reading in other languages that I know. I read Obama's victory speech-"Yes, we can!"-in another language. I am simply amazed by his speech still. I don't know who wrote his speech, but I am impressed by his usage and style. I'm a dummy, yet recognize good writing.

I have been translating in my head into English. It is not easy. English is my native language. I read in my new language at an advanced level still. But, truthfully, although I passed the most advanced level of the language test, I have trouble explaining what I read in English. So, translating is not easy.

Machine translation is imperfect. It's good for short snippets but for long translations, there are major mistakes. Now, translation agencies have machine translation post-editing jobs. I applied for one but am not too confident I will get an interview. I need to really work on my translation skills. I applied just to see what is out there.

I hope to do technical writing eventually. I have a science degree and a professional healthcare degree. I should use both. I'm teaching medical jargon now. It is easy for me. I don't think I will make it as a technical writer alone. Combining translating and writing is probably the best.

Polishing my language skills is fun. I really like to learn and study languages. I also like teaching. No matter what I will continue teaching. It does not pay well so I am forced to find other jobs. I will get by for now on my teaching income.

Honestly, if you had asked me if I would be working a few years ago, I would have said no. I was extremely disabled from my illness. I am happy now that I'm working. I am really amazed by my situation. I was in no position to take care of myself a few years ago. Now, I am independent and working. I no longer worry about the future. I just take it one day at a time.

I will keep studying, and searching for a second job. I have confidence I will find another job. I just hope I have the stamina to do two jobs. I will just do it and see what happens.
bpforever1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Breaking Dawn