Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 17, 2021 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprinkL3 View Post
My psychotherapist is treating me for both DID and PTSD. She suggested that maybe I can ask a psychiatrist about ADHD medication to help me when I'm feeling overwhelmed with my many alters. I was wondering if anyone here with DID has taken that kind of medication.

I do NOT have ADHD, by the way. She only suggested it because I was telling her my struggles with feeling overwhelmed with many triggers and many alters handling those triggers.

I'm new here, so hopefully this is okay to post here.
you dont have to have ADHD to be prescribed ADHD medications...

here in the USA we dont have ......one......... medication treats this disorder or that medical issue.

we have .......many.......... medications and each of those medications treat a whole bunch of things.

ADHD meds dont just treat ADHD,
Anxiety meds dont just treat anxiety.
depression meds dont just treat depression
and so on and so forth.

if you have a library go in and tell the librarian you would like to see a book called "The pill book". open the book to any page, any medication. you will see a list of 10, 15 sometimes 20 mental and medical problems that one medication is used for.

Dissociation is a problem where "something" triggers a person to feel their dissociation symptoms.

depending upon what your specific dissociative symptoms that you told your doctors, therapists, mental health treatment providers that you have, is the kind of medication you get.

just like if for example if you had a heart condition. your doctor wouldnt be treating the heart. your doctor would listen to what you "symptoms" are then give you meds that treat those symptoms to make your heart work better.

your doctor listened to you describe what your problems were, and looked at the report (if any tests were done) then based on the symptoms you described you were prescribed the medication that works for those symptoms.

my suggestion is talk with your doctors they will explain to you how and why you were given or it was suggested you be on this ADHD medication.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
SprinkL3