SprinkL3
Account Suspended

Member Since Oct 2021
10.9k hugs
given
Default Oct 18, 2021 at 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewed View Post
When someone agrees with you but repeats your answer back and then says it in a slightly different way then the way you said it.

My therapist does this and it confuses me because I think to myself “didn’t I just say that same thing?” I don’t think she’s intentionally gaslighting me. I just think she doesn’t understand what I’m going through.

My mom did the same thing the other day but it was completely unintentional. I called her out on it and she said it does sound like a weird thing to do.

I often think the term gaslight is overused way too much. So I’m just wondering if this is considered it or not.
Your therapist is using a classic Rogerian method. They will often use the phrase, "It sounds like..." followed by their interpretation of what they believe they heard from you. It's a less judgmental way of communicating with active listening involved. It's not meant to gaslight at all, though it may come off that way if what they are saying is incorrect or rephrased in a condescending, patronizing, or hostile manner.

It would be good for your to bring this up with your therapist. You can say to your therapist something like, "In our last session, I noticed that you would say ___ when I said ____. To me, it sounded like gaslighting because ____. But I don't want to misjudge you, so can you explain what that is and how that's supposed to help me in session?" -Or something to that effect.

Hope you get things patched up with your T.
SprinkL3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote