View Single Post
cinnamonsun

Member Since Mar 2021
144 hugs
given
Default Oct 23, 2021 at 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

Keep appealing! I never ever recommend lawyers for ssdi applications because they take 1/3 of your retro award but in your case its worth looking into. I dont know if you are in upstate NY or like NYC but I can share some resources if you want.
I considered it. I used to know someone else who had to get a lawyer to get SSD. Their settlement was only $600 though and that's less than my SSI when I am not working. So if I'll be getting less money then I'm not interested.

People can't believe me most of the time. There was a point during my disease where I could barely walk. And people were like, "Why don't you ask for SSD?" And I don't know how to explain this. But. I was raised with a strong work ethic because of my ethnicity. And to be incapable of working is very...embarrassing and emotionally painful for me. Even if it's a struggle I want to work because that's part of my values and morals. I refused to get a wheelchair so I could keep my job, my boss said the store couldn't accommodate a wheelchair. People thought I was crazy, but they don't understand how important work and a career are to me and my parents.

Despite being disabled, my parents expect and want me to work full time because that's what responsible adults do. They don't brag about me. They brag about my accomplished brother and sister, but I am something shameful because, at my age, I don't have a successful career or job. I remember when I was sick that week and quit that full-time job, my mom's only comment was, "But you DON'T even have a retirement fund." I was so sick I could hardly walk and move. This is all they care about. If I don't work they tell me I'm a burden on my family.

Work is very important to me. I still try to work full time. It's very hard on me. They don't understand what I am doing and trying my best with what Fate has given me. This imperfect body and mind with limitations. I am trying. I can't help that I am like this.
cinnamonsun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpforever1, RoxanneToto