SprinkL3
Account Suspended

Member Since Oct 2021
10.9k hugs
given
Smile Oct 26, 2021 at 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheRainbow View Post
The reason he brought it up is that I said something that sounded like a "protector" role or something like a role that he thought seemed consistent with the IFS. I trust him to try this and if it works great and if it doesn't we'll find something else. I very vaguely remember that when we started he told me he used IFS a lot but that was so long ago I could be wrong.

It sounds much more relevant for PTSD than BP but I definitely have PTSD and so treating it this way seems good. If it helps the BP too that's great.

I hope it is working well for you.
Thank you for wishing me well, BeyondtheRainbow.

I'm so sorry you struggle with both BP and PTSD. I'm guessing that the BP could exacerbate the PTSD, and vice versa. I could see how IFS could maybe help with the exacerbated PTSD symptoms regarding the part of you who wants to protect (to fight, to remain hypervigilant against threats, etc.). I've often wondered about research on treatments for people with comorbid disorders that might have unique symptoms from multiple diagnoses, which may warrant different therapeutic approaches. So much research emphasizes only one diagnosis, without paying attention to the growing need to treat comorbid diagnoses - something that seems more common than singular diagnoses these days. That's just my opinion.

When I was in the trauma center and in the "ego states" module, there were many different patients in there with me - not just PTSD and DID patients, but also patients with comorbid PTSD and other disorders, including Bipolar. They touched on IFS in that group, I think. Thus, I think that is why it might be helpful. Only a licensed therapist could prescribe and administer that treatment to you, but it's worth asking.

I hope you are able to find more healing through IFS and other treatments.
SprinkL3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
BeyondtheRainbow

Thanks for this!
BeyondtheRainbow, RoxanneToto