ToeJam
Magnate

ToeJam Is standing pretty

10 yr Member
1,403 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Trig Nov 03, 2021 at 12:20 AM

It has been a while since I’ve written on the forums, let alone create a topic. However, here I am, preparing myself for a journal like topic as I begin the process of receiving ECT. I fell head first into another depressive relapse that landed me back in hospital.

This was annoying in so much as I work as an independent advocate at the same unit, so the staff that are responsible for my care are the same people I speak to on a regular basis as part of my work - I felt this was a conflict of interests but bed management were unable to get me an out of area placement.

Having a duel diagnosis- depression and autistic spectrum disorder has meant that I’ve had a couple of sensory meltdowns that are embarrassing at any time but even more so when it’s with people I usually have a professional working relationship with.

ECT has been discussed and then referral made as I have become treatment resistant - on the maximum advisable dosage of medication that has worked over the past 8 years.

I have been led to believe treatment will begin next week and will then be twice a week for up to 6 weeks.

Part of my work entails working with people who are considering the treatment, but to find myself on the patient side has been a reality check and I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t nervous, nor overthinking the risks.

I will keep you posted as treatment continues but I would be interested in hearing the experiences of those that have received ECT themselves.

Independent Mental Health Advocate (IMHA): UK
ToeJam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
FooZe, Fuzzybear, Rohag, WovenGalaxy

Thanks for this!
Rohag