View Single Post
MuddyBoots
Monster on the Hill

Member Since Sep 2020
4,851 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 04, 2021 at 11:43 AM

Seeing psychiatrists has probably saved my life. Sure, I encountered a few that weren't exactly winners, but the helpful ones got me on the right meds. I still struggle with schizoaffective disorder, but I'm much better off now than I was before the right meds. I can't exactly say how many appointments it was before I found something that helped as it's very much a trial and error process, but I was misdiagnosed initially and put on antidepressants (which people like me prone to mania shouldn't take), but once they realized I was on the bipolar spectrum we worked hard in finding a combo of antipsychotics and a mood stabilizer that helped without unbearable side effects. A lot of it was try a med, get a little better for a little while, have a relapse and try another med.

I'm happy with my psychiatric nurse practitioner now and I trust she will help me when I need it. For example, I was starting to head into a mixed episode and she told me to take thorazine 3x a day every day instead of as needed and it's only been a couple days since that and it's already helping keeping me calm(er) and more organized.

I haven't had any psychiatrists order a brain scan for me, you might need a neurologist to get that done. Definitely ask about that though.

Good luck! I hope whoever you see is able to help you out