View Single Post
SprinkL3
Account Suspended

Member Since Oct 2021
10.9k hugs
given
Lightbulb Nov 07, 2021 at 08:02 PM

It depends on the type of social media.

I deleted my FB, Instagram, and Twitter accounts. Their algorithms make it impossible to keep your mental health in check when you are forced to sift through all the ads and suggestive feeds. Constant arguments and more divides only fuel more hate and divisions in our country. There's no solutions, just endless banter and verbal attacks.

Alternatively, I decided to go with forums like these for support, as well as WordPress. I can pick and choose what I want to read, for the most part. We'll still see some debates, but they are more civilized than mainstream social media.

For my mental and physical health, I need to stay connected with humans, as I cannot meet in person because of my immunocompromised status. So social media is a benefit in terms of staying connected, especially during risky holidays when the uptick in Covid-19 cases likely ensue. I celebrate with others online, which helps me cope with loneliness, isolation, physical disabilities, and depression better.

But regarding the news, I have to limit it to once per day (twice, if our area has been hit with another thing that affects my health, like crisis standards of care or whether or not disabled people will receive a check in December or January). The news and the politics behind the news are all depressing. But being informed is necessary, as we can prepare for safety and/or advocacy. If you feel helpless or defeated, social media isn't good. If you feel empowered and supported, then social media is good. It's a matter of finding your tribe in the age of neo tribalism.
SprinkL3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
convalescence, WovenGalaxy

Thanks for this!
WovenGalaxy