zapatoes Looking for my way

5 yr Member
10.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 09, 2021 at 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkyTinks View Post
I have an auditory processing disorder due to autism.

I struggled as a child (sounds would make me have complete meltdown) but then also due to thyroid issues from birth and them changing my medication I experienced an hearing loss.

As they had never dx the auditory processing issue back then the differences between my hearing was never explained to me properly.

The actual conductive loss did recover in time but because I had an underlying APD that had been missed and was also unable to explain things to Dr's properly due to Autism and Selective Mutism I was thought to be 'severely deaf' for years.

I was given hearing aids but more often used them to block sounds outside as I struggled to work out where sounds were coming from and sudden noises still startled me.

I used them only to access radio hearing aids at college (cut out background noise and only be able to hear teachers voice) and to listen to a walkman. (80's version of an iPod!) with a special neck loop and hearing aids on T. (loop setting).

It is confusing as all the things I most struggled with ...seperating sound and working out speech of course people with a conductive (volume) hearing loss also struggled with.

I struggled with them regardless of whether I was wearing hearing aids but could hear other noises without any in. Some household noises I grew to recognise and tolerate, others I've never been able to.

I can follow the TV and music when there's no other noises but can't when others are about making noises and talking over multiple sounds. I go into sensory overload very quickly so have to put the hearing aids in but switched off to tolerate sitting in that environment Sometimes as things quieten down I will put them on to focus on one person talking or just pop the mould out a little to let more sound in and work out one person's voice without amplifying it.
VB

I have developed frequency loss again in older age and my right ear can't hear as many higher frequencies as the left and has constant tinnitus in it.

Newer digital hearing aids have helped with separating sounds without amplifying everything too much and having a tinnitus program on them and are more useful than the old analogue ones which just made everything unbearably loud.

Despite this I managed to get a degree and worked in a school for the deaf briefly. This led to my own diagnosis as they had a unit for hearing children with language disorders where I met a mini me! - an autistic child with auditory processing disorder which led to my own dx in adulthood.
Inky Tinks, that’s an awesome accomplishment. Hearing aids seem like they are improving all the time.
zapatoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote