View Single Post
cinnamonsun

Member Since Mar 2021
144 hugs
given
Default Nov 10, 2021 at 06:31 PM

Five years ago my parents convinced me to file a chapter 13 bankruptcy because even though I was working, I couldn't afford all the payments on my student loans and they were co-signers and didn't want to take over the payments for me. Even though they co-signed, they don't believe or feel they have any responsibility to make payments. My parent's mentality about my college education was/is "No one paid for mine so I'm not paying for yours." I had the student loan companies tell me they are legally obligated, but all I could tell them is that...it's what my parents believe and there isn't anything I can do about it. They won't make payments. We were threatened to be taken to court and to avoid that I did the chapter 13.

I did very well with my chapter 13, I never missed a payment. I am ending in proper and good standing. Which is great. What is not great...is that...I'm in an even worse financial situation than I was when I filed. I lost almost all my money this year when I trusted friends and moved across the country. They screwed me over. Not only do I not have money in savings anymore because that whole venture took the thousands I had saved, but I lost 95% of my belongings. While I was out there I was setting up my work and life to be able to resume different payments. And sadly, it turned into a hostile and bad situation I had to flee from. Any time I tried to set myself up to be able to handle these payments everything completely fell apart in my life. It's not from a lack of trying. I did try, I did plan, I was working on it. Things just didn't work out.

My dad keeps bringing it up that my chapter 13 is ending and won't leave me alone about it. I know. He wants to know my plan, wants to know how I will make bigger payments. I tell him...I don't know. I kind of went through trauma and things this year and lost almost everything. What answer does he expect? They have no compassion or sympathy for what I went through. They also have several different incomes and a lot of money, which is more than what I have. I don't even have a car. I am so poor, I have pretty much have no assets. I'm worried about this because I'm putting all my efforts into recovery and therapy, and now this is happening. I have tried to work and turned into a disaster. I am disabled, too. I don't think he understands that I am trying. I don't know what to do. He suggested at one point I file another chapter 13 bankruptcy. I don't want to.

They will refuse to assist me with payments. I can't make payments unless I get a full-time job. I'm working on it. There aren't a lot of opportunities around here, this area is very rural. Not having a driver's license causes me to have limitations on jobs I can apply for. I have limitations because of my disease. I really don't have a solution. I've applied to 25 jobs since being back here and had maybe 3 interviews. It's not going that well. I have a seasonal job but it's only for the holidays.

I don't know what to do.

Hugs from:
hvert, nonightowl, SprinkL3, unaluna, Yaowen