SprinkL3
Account Suspended

Member Since Oct 2021
10.9k hugs
given
Smile Nov 13, 2021 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpforever1 View Post
I am getting paid to teach but not for administrative tasks. I am independent and on my own with my meager earnings.
Oh, I misread that. Sorry.

Do you have an assistantship, or is this a separate job? At least for the administrative tasks, you can put that on your CV/resume as experience. Glad you're getting paid to teach though. That's awesome.

One of my mentors, who is also in the reserves as well as a veteran, teaches when he's not serving in the military. He also works for the VA to help the LGBTQ+ veterans, and to train social workers, as he has a degree in social work. I asked if I could volunteer as his research assistant online, as we've never met in person. He said yes. He explained that he needed materials for his class, and so I helped find peer-reviewed journals. He said he wasn't paid for his teaching job, but he needed to propose a syllabus, etc. I had some experience with grading and creating a rubric as a teacher's assistant as a post-bacc when I was a research assistant in a lab. It was fun. I wasn't paid for any of that either, so I assumed incorrectly about what you meant.

I never taught, but I always helped behind-the-scenes.

I did volunteer at a Mutual Aid Center to assist in teaching/tutoring English as a Second Language to a married couple. They were levels 0 and 1 when then came in, and they advanced to levels 1 and 2, respectively, after I taught them. I didn't know their language, so I had to be very active and use my body to point to things, use the board to draw things, and I had them come up to the board to write the ABCs and sentences, etc. I was trained to do that. Boy, did that take the wind out of me, and that was just volunteering twice a week for 1.5 hours. I lasted only 4 months, and then I had to quit, due to my CFS/ME.

It felt great to teach, but it was exhausting! I never realized how much energy one needs to have for teaching!
SprinkL3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote