SprinkL3
Account Suspended

Member Since Oct 2021
10.9k hugs
given
Help Nov 13, 2021 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderGoddess View Post
I forgot about this! I have similar issues when requesting part-time hours. I've even had co-workers pressure me into taking on more hours and say things like "well if you worked more hours..... we wouldn't be so busy/you would learn more etc" I've even had a co-worker tell me that they have health problems and they still work full-time because "you have to do what you have to do"

This is actually what lead me to disclose my mental health issues in the first place because I was always asked why I can't work full-time and honestly I regretted every time I disclosed that info. I was treated differently by co-workers and my bosses. So I think this is def something I'd like to include in my plans.
Ditto! Whenever I disclosed my disability status (even without the specifics of my disability), I've always been met with judgment and disdain for not contributing more to society. It's as if ableism is acceptable, even though discrimination isn't. Microaggressions are as diverse as people, and so a lot of those things are allowable and lawful/legal - even in workplace settings, sadly.

And when trying to get counseled in college, they even emphasize never to mention mental illness or mental disability in your applications or elsewhere. But it's okay if it's a physical disability, for some reason. Many people in college are aiming to work full-time and jump start their careers. They don't realize that there are also disabled people, including veterans, who hope to work part-time (not necessarily for programmatic restrictions, but rather, because that's all they could physically offer). It doesn't mean they shouldn't be hired; it just means that there's now more room to hire two disabled people instead of just one full-time person for "conventional" career-based jobs. And that would help the economy. Forcing part-timers to become full-timers just because that is the status quo negates the benefits of hiring two part-timers in place of one full-timer. Not everyone's employment needs fit within an able-body's circadian rhythm of 9-5 schedules, with overtime implied.
SprinkL3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
ThunderGoddess