View Single Post
cluelessgal

cluelessgal has no updates.

10 yr Member
83 hugs
given
Default Nov 14, 2021 at 06:40 PM

Hey annoyedgrunt8,

I have struggled with weight since my teens...I have lost a bit of weight, so I can share what I did, but ultimately, you have to carve out a path that works best for you.

First, it's not about being fat or slim, it's about doing things which are good for your body. It's a lifelong process and habits we all have to develop for as long as we are alive!

There used to be a time whenever I went out grocery shopping, I used buy a bag full just of snacks. After family intervention (for everyone) that became just 1 salty snack and 1 biscuit packet. Then slowly, it became once a week thing. Now I buy snacks sparingly and I buy the smallest packet, because big packets will be consumed.

Mirror neurons can be really helpful. I used to find cooking really boring, so I used to watch cooking videos - the Tasty videos kind - just cooking no talking. When you watch someone do something, your part of brain involved in action activates too. Watching cooking vids helped me cook at home. Same mirror neurons work with exercising vids too!

Third, I reduced the window of eating. I would avoid eating for 16 hours (you can choose lesser hours - say avoid eating 2 hours before sleeping and 1 hour after waking up). When the window to eat reduces, the amount you eat reduces too, as there's only so much you can eat in given period. Again, but when I ate - I ate well....just whole grains food. I even included healthier desserts like made of dates or just have dried fruits or cashew and raisins. However, if I really had a craving, I wouldn't deny myself of eating things I love.

Fourth, I did a little calorie count - not in a very conscious "stick to this number" way, but just a general idea. It just made me realize how sometimes a full meal (which is far more filling) contains same calories as some calorie dense snack. It's good to be aware of how much we are eating.....just don't have to be very strict about it!

Fifth and most important, I started cooking the next meal beforehand. I am still struggling to make it into a habit - but I try to make breakfast before I sleep, lunch in morning and prep for dinner. When we are hungry and there's nothing to eat, we start to eat absolute nonsense. Having food beforehand, somehow, even reduces hunger.....I think being hungry and not having something substantial to eat triggers some primitive part of the brain that sense starvation signal that anticipates famine. Kinda like going hungry to supermarket makes you buy snacks more! Again, it's tough to maintain, but if it becomes a habit, it can be so useful. I manage to do it once a week...then it's back to square one....LOL!

Sixth, see if yoga works for you. It's designed to create a healthy relationship between your body and mind (mind's half the battle). It's in my to-do list, but do give it a shot if it works for you.

So my 2 cents. Again, only you can figure out what's holding you back and what works for you to live a healthier lifestyle. Here's an inspiring documentary, if you haven't seen already - Weight Loss Documentary Motivation Transformation ( Beyond Expectations Full Documentary) Elle Ip - YouTube

Good luck!
cluelessgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SprinkL3