Yaowen
Grand Magnate

Yaowen has no updates.

3 yr Member
6,475 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 15, 2021 at 02:55 PM

Zoloft worked pretty well for me. But I find that Citalopram works better. But please do not allow this to influence you. The reason I say this is that brain anatomy, physiology and chemistry is not identical in everyone. We are different even in our brains. So what works for one person might not work for another. This makes it almost impossible to give advice.

There is a growing body of research which links depression to actual pathology in the brain: 1] atrophy in parts of the brain not related to brain aging; 2]atrophy of brain dendrites; 3] lack of protective glial brain cells; 4] reduced regional cerebral blood flow which can be seen during brain imagining studies and 5] reduced regional brain energy utilization [glucose metabolism] also visible during brain imagining. There are other forms of pathology that have been found too.

Anti-depressants are not "happy pills." They are medicine to stabilize and hopefully reverse brain pathology. They do not cause happiness or dependency otherwise they would be sold on the black market for this purpose. And they are not.

Depression can be a chronic condition requiring life long medication. Epilepsy is a chronic condition requiring life long medicine. So is Parkinson's Disease. I think it can help to think of Clinical Depression in this way. It is a brain pathology corrected by medical treatment which can sometimes be lifelong treatment.

So I am not sure how helpful it is to think of being dependent on these medicines or at least not in the way substance abuse victims are dependent. They are a corrective and healing and stabilizing medication types. They do nothing to people who are not afflicted with depression. Substance abuse drugs can effect all users. For this reason, some people can expect to be on an antidepressant for life just as an epileptic can expect to be under drug treatment for life.

A lot of what I have said here is based on medical research. And to be fair and honest it must be openly admitted that all medical research is subject to limitations: how large was the study, how many participants, how long did the study last, how objective was the study, how about other research studies that reached different conclusions, how about new discoveries. So one must be careful with medical research. I do think it is fair to say that evidence seems to be building for depression involving actual pathology of the brain.

I wish I could tell you what you should so. But I am not qualified. Zoloft worked pretty well for me. It was very helpful. I did notice that I tended to develop insomnia while taking it. That was really the only thing that bothered me about it. SSRI's can cause insomnia. Others, of course, will have other experiences, good and bad.

Hopefully others who are on or who have tried Zoloft will see your post and respond. Depression is an illness. It is not a character flaw. Even those who work against depression-- doctors, psychiatrists, neurologists-- sometimes are afflicted with this illness. It is nothing to be ashamed of.

I hope you will find what works for you and what really helps you.
Yaowen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
WastingAsparagus