SprinkL3
Account Suspended

Member Since Oct 2021
10.9k hugs
given
Lightbulb Nov 15, 2021 at 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderGoddess View Post
Because of the way I was treated, I decided I don't want to attend that school, especially the lack of response from the accessibility office. Because if I was to need to ask for accommodations, that office would be my lifeline and I don't think they would be a reliable source.

This is what made me want to start a nonprofit though. I think having a middle man to help with stuff like this would be really beneficial. It feels like there is such a lack of support in these areas from therapists. The therapist who may even be a social worker only helps you on one end of things typically. And that is your thoughts and behaviors. Then they ship you out to the world to be met with contempt and discrimination and most of the time it's too intense for emotionally sensitive people to deal with even with skills at hand.

I've only had one therapist who helped me ask for accommodations at work. She walked me through each. step it was extremely helpful. Another situation, I had a therapist tell me to explain I have a mental disability, then when I needed paperwork to back that up she told me she can't give me anything. So why have me explain that in the first place?! It felt like she made me out to look like a liar.

So I just think the whole process with jobs and colleges and disclosing this information is complicated and demeaning at times and someone who could help in the process would benefit those who are struggling with this process.

But my main goal is to link employers to this nonprofit similar to organizations that help people with developmental disabilities obtain employment. So you have job training and then support workers to help through the process and the employers are on board and aware of limitations and so from the start the worker is not singled out or forced to work under unrealistic expectations.
Have you ever considered getting a PhD in I/O psychology (which is business-industrial psychology)? I think that degree in conjunction with multidisciplinary frameworks (since the field itself is already interdisciplinary in nature) would help when you apply, also, community psychology paradigms (such as PAR - participatory action research). The questions and passions you exhibit here are almost in line with a combo of community psych and I/O psych. The interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary frameworks are growing more and more these days, and that might be something you could look into if you were to return to college or grad school, get some mentors to help you with your vision, and then get letters of recommendation for doctoral programs. It's just a thought. I think you'd be great for it. You definitely have the passion!
SprinkL3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
ThunderGoddess