ThunderGoddess
Veteran Member

Member Since Nov 2014
428 hugs
given
Default Nov 16, 2021 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprinkL3 View Post
Have you ever considered getting a PhD in I/O psychology (which is business-industrial psychology)? I think that degree in conjunction with multidisciplinary frameworks (since the field itself is already interdisciplinary in nature) would help when you apply, also, community psychology paradigms (such as PAR - participatory action research). The questions and passions you exhibit here are almost in line with a combo of community psych and I/O psych. The interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary frameworks are growing more and more these days, and that might be something you could look into if you were to return to college or grad school, get some mentors to help you with your vision, and then get letters of recommendation for doctoral programs. It's just a thought. I think you'd be great for it. You definitely have the passion!
I appreciate your thoughts of encouragement! This would definitely be too much for me though I have pretty severe BPD symptoms and a 9th-grade level education with a learning disability, so the amount of work it would take to get to that level would be out of my scope of abilities.

My goal was to get an associate's degree in English part-time because I'm interested in grant writing. I struggle tremendously to be around people and I haven't left my house in the last 4 months just to give you an idea of where I'm at with my mental health journey. I'm lucky to have a really caring husband who supports me but I'm looking to work in an administrative position in a nonprofit as that was the only job I've ever had that lasted longer than a couple months. I worked at a large nonprofit for 4 years on the administrative team. I learned so much there but then the leadership team changed and it clashed with my personality type so I quit and haven't had a job since.

With BPD your interest and passions are extremely inconsistent, so it's quite difficult to commit to anything because who I am today isn't exactly who I am a week from today or even tomorrow. So college in general was a very stressful decision to make and I have tried to attend college before and had to drop out due to my mental health. I also live in the middle of nowhere that was the only college around me and I am currently living below the poverty line so I have no money to put towards an education I can only accept financial aid at this time.

Nonprofit work has always stuck with me, though, and I currently volunteer remotely for 2 nonprofits. I can handle people from a distance, but I don't enjoy interacting in person. The nonprofit I'd like to start would need to consist of a team that would be taking on the bulk of the in person work such as job coaches and career counselors. I'd like work on the administrative part doing website, grant proposals, standard operating procedures etc. I do my best work when I'm in a quiet space writing! That's why I say this could just be a big dream but at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing. I like to have ongoing work even if it's "fake" work lol

Just keep swimming
I have BPD or Autism or both, we may never know, the focus is always the symptoms, not the diagnosis
ThunderGoddess is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SprinkL3

Thanks for this!
SprinkL3