Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 18, 2021 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheRainbow View Post
We used to have dinner with my mom, family member and I. But the family member died last year so I imagine it will just be dinner with my mom and I and I don't know if we'll do anything special.

Do you eat special foods on New Years?
In my family in the US, it was always always a ham dinner and the appropriate sides. My maternal grandmother always made a molded gelatin dish called "Sunshine Salad" with lemon gelatin, crushed pineapple (and some juice & water), and shredded carrots. She and I were the only ones who liked it. My siblings make fun of it, to this day. I have the mold, but my husband doesn't like it. It was a 1950s retro recipe. She'd make it on other holidays, too, but it went best with the ham. My family was also obsessed with pies. We had many after each holiday dinner. One I particularly liked was called "Graham Cracker Pie". It had a graham cracker crust, a caramel-like custard in it, topped with meringue. Old-fashioned. My mom created a family cookbook soon before she passed away. We're all happy we have that.

In Czech Republic, the New Years foods are quite simpler. Probably because everyone is either drunk or getting over being drunk. A traditional dish to eat is lentils, usually with ham in it (or a ham slice on it) topped with a sunny-side up egg. Lentils represent good luck/fortunate I think because they sort of resemble coins. Most all Czech restaurants/pubs still open at even 3 am on New Years day will usually have this dish, and maybe only this dish, to offer. It's easy to digest on a queasy stomach. As for other stuff, many families make and consume lots of open-faced sandwiches or similar canapes. Leftover Christmas cookies for dessert.

What is something you plan to do in 2022?

Psych Medications:
* Tegretol XR (carbamazepine ER) 800 mg
* Lamictal (lamotrigine) 150 mg
* Seroquel XR (quetiapine ER) 600 mg

I also take meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, and tachycardia.

Last edited by Soupe du jour; Nov 18, 2021 at 04:37 PM..
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*

Thanks for this!
*Beth*