Desert Kitty hates titles

Member Since Jul 2008
6,800 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Wink Nov 21, 2021 at 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammu View Post
Washers didn’t spin the water out. You put the clothes one piece at a time between two rollers and cranked a handle to squeeze the water out then put them on a clothes line to dry. Thus the expression put him though the wringer. If you’ve seen old I love Lucy shows you might catch a glimpse of the wringers. Her washer was either in the kitchen or out on the porch.
Oh I didn't know about that. I've heard of or seen washing boards in the movies. Then you had to wring the clothes out by hand. What a pain. We didn't have a dryer so hung clothes outside on the clothesline.

I Love Lucy was hilarious. I'm listening to a podcast about her life, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Speaking of rollers, I remember in kindergarten the teacher made copies of something by cranking handle and the copies came off this roller. I could smell the ink, and we had to wait for it to dry or it would smear, LOL. I think it was called a mimeograph machine. Now we have scanners----you don't need a physical copy of stuff now.

And maybe remember carbon paper? Ha Ha

Hmmm....looks like some good tips in here.

"Okay, enough photos. I'm a very BUSY Business Kitty, so make an appointment next time."
nonightowl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
*Beth*