View Single Post
Nammu
Crone

Member Since May 2010
Location: Some where between my inner mind and the solar system.
53.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 21, 2021 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxanneToto View Post
Playing Star Trek on a computer with no monitor? That sounds very intriguing to me, I’d love to know more about how that worked!
Hehe, I remember my parent’s old rotary phone - I actually bought a proper landline phone to go in my new flat. It looks like a rotary phone, but the numbers are all separate buttons.
The computers were housed in a building separate from any other building on campus there was a thick cable that connected to a army green paper feeder with the box of attached with holes on the side that fed into the modem. There was a typewriter attached. The whole game was played by numbers. You were in a hostile territory doing enemy fire on Klingons. You typed your moved into the modem then waited 15-20 minutes for the computer to reply. Then typed your next moves. I always ended up destroying the enterprise. It was kinda like the kobayashi Maru , I didn’t know anyone who won. We always had alcohol to pass the time so that could be a factor,….so could the fact that none of us were computer science or math majors. We were all in the arts field, but loved Star Trek. The games took place after 7 at night when the computer opened up to general use. This was in 1977.

Nammu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
RoxanneToto