Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 25, 2021 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP_Complete View Post
Honestly, the history of Thanksgiving is a little troubling to me. I'm no history expert, but the original colonists from England were ill-equipped to handle North America and a Native American tribe helped them survive their first years here. To celebrate the colonists held a feast to celebrate their survival that eventually became Thanksgiving. Of course, as time went on, we decimated the Native American population, treated them horribly, called them savages, stole the land they had been living on for many years, forced them onto reservations, etc. (For now, I'm going to ignore the French colonists that nearly trapped some species into extinction in Canada and what's now the northern US.)

On one hand, I can appreciate the opportunity to gather with family and friends for a celebration. It's something we were brought up with and didn't understand the historical implications of as children. But at the same time it kind of feels like we're celebrating a bunch of ill-prepared, super-religious English people coming to a new-to-them continent and serving as a plague upon the current residents.

That being said, my lonely-*** self is going to make some air fryer tempeh and instant mashed potatoes and try not to feel sorry for myself that I have no family or friends to get together with.

Hugs, NP. I know it's not the same, but you an hang out here with us.

I've never really gotten into tempeh--is it good fried like that?

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty