ChickenNoodleSoup
Grand Poohbah
ChickenNoodleSoup has no updates.

5 yr Member
1,298 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 25, 2021 at 12:15 PM

Thanksgiving has always been a weird one coming from Switzerland... we do not have a single holiday that's celebrated that intensely, centered about being together, eating together, and so on and it not being a religious holiday (with the religion often being a very minor part in the actual celebration, if it's mentioned at all).

I'll say that as far as I know, the people originally coming to the US were not just choosing to go on vacation or spread their religion, most of them were kicked out by their own country for having a belief not aligned with their country. I can't blame them for being ill-prepared and probably not the best group for leading the initial efforts. That combined with a general unawareness of medicine will quickly go down a bad path...

Also, regarding the debate of dressing up as a certain group/race you're not part of: as a child, I don't think this is actually a bad thing, but maybe that's an uncommon opinion. It's a fantasy world where you get to role play something, most times something that you could never experience, children are not aware of all the implications and that's fine. You're a person living in the per-colonized North America, got a bow and arrow and run around in your garden searching for plants to make into some kind of food. Of course this isn't fully accurate but as a kid that lets you experience sides of life that you'll never see again and lets you empathize with that kind of lifestyle idea. I see it similarly to playing theater, you're trying to empathize with the character. If paired properly with education about the bad parts of society, whether it'd be something like slaves or genocide, illnesses, corruption, will help the kid more than restricting their fantasy world. You have to live with out the fantasy for long enough...

It's weird to do for older people though just to dress up, that doesn't make sense to me.

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
atisketatasket, LonesomeTonight, unaluna