Child of a lesser god

Member Since Jun 2015
12.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 26, 2021 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonesomeTonight View Post
D got her second shot today, which is good (and she handled it really well). But now there's news of a new "variant of concern." And I'm really struggling to focus on the positives of D being vaccinated vs. thinking maybe it's all completely futile (including the booster I'll be getting Monday), if it turns out this variant can get around immunity... Like, can't we just have some time to celebrate a victory and some relief and a sense of maybe returning to semi-normal for a brief while before the next thing hits?
I think we're at the point where "normal" is what we make of it and it might have to be redefined. I feel pretty normal right now, except for 1) teaching rooms full of masked students and 2) getting called a ridiculous number of times for random COVID testing at my university (I'm up to 5 this semester, in a 15-week semester where they randomly call 28% of the campus population/week).

I'm not going to worry about the new variant yet. It was only found on Tuesday. It seems more transmissible so far, but that doesn't mean more lethal than the original COVID, and it's not yet known how well the vaccines work against it. No one seems seriously ill from the new one (yet), and the idea behind mRNA vaccines is that they can be adapted pretty easily, within months if need be.

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
ArtieTheSequal, LonesomeTonight, Polibeth, stopdog, WarmFuzzySocks