SprinkL3
Account Suspended

Member Since Oct 2021
10.9k hugs
given
Exclamation Nov 28, 2021 at 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakForTheLight View Post
Yay, more doom and gloom! So sick of it all. I'm sure the entire world is. Just don't know what else to say anymore.

And sick of the sob stories from the side who shouldn't be complaining. I read a story yesterday about a family who had just come back from South Africa and had been stuck on a plane for 4 hours. I listened to the interview with the dad and he actually didn't seem to be that upset about it, but the article was written so dramatically, like it was some traumatising experience, and oh no now all these people will have to go into isolation and this dad can't see his other two daughters and it's such a horrible thing to happen to them! Yes, it absolutely does suck and the organisation was a mess at the airport and should've done better. BUT these are the risks you take when you travel across continents in the middle of a pandemic. It's not the first time people have been stuck abroad. If I would have had to quarantine after coming from the UK it would have sucked, but I knew it was a risk I was taking and I wouldn't expect a newspaper to turn it into a story

All these stories from people being a tiny bit inconvenienced by the restrictions annoy me so much. It's like people still don't understand that we're in an exceptional situation - a freaking pandemic - and things sometimes just suck. I'd much rather be stuck on a plane than on a ventilator in a hospital! Sure, complain to your friends and family because it IS a ****** situation, but do we really need to turn every tiny thing into a "news" article? Life isn't all smooth sailing, sometimes things go wrong and it's not nice and I totally understand people get upset, but we shouldn't be giving more fodder to the anti-everything crazies.

My sympathy goes out to the people who did all they could to protect themselves and still got sick. To all the people who have had important surgeries postponed because the hospitals are overrun by covid patients. Someone who's had to miss ONE party because they couldn't get tested in time and don't want a vaccination? Stop whining and just get yourself vaccinated.
1. They shouldn't have traveled in the first place, unless it was for work. They know that there are surges and mutations, despite the vaccination rates increasing. The pandemic is a global responsibility, so the entire world has to reach at minimum 75% vaccination before herd immunity is possible. Until then, we should all be only traveling for essential reasons or keeping it local travel so long as your group is fully vaccinated or meeting outdoors if mixed or unknown.

2. Given two years of this pandemic, you would think that people would abstain from international travel around the winter months, when cases are likely to tick upwards. Although mutations can occur during any time of the year, it appears that the worst cases occur during the winter months. They knew the risks of potentially being stranded if the virus mutated into another VoC or worse. They need to accept the consequences because their choices may cause more global and domestic spread, disease, long-term disabilities, death, medical traumas, grief/loss traumas, and otherwise.

3. Many elderly persons and disabled persons and immunocompromised persons have been consistently isolating in place. It's been very traumatic for us when the world doesn't care about us; they just want us to stay home and endure the trauma instead of their able-bodied, likely younger, likely more affluent selves. Welcome to our world, I say! But they only have to endure through a short amount of isolation, whereas our isolation is long-term and likely pre- and post-pandemic, too. It's not that we're "used to it," but rather, we've been struggling with that trauma - the "isolation trauma" - for many years, and it's gone ignored until the able-bodied, younger, working-class-and-above groups take issue with what we have experienced for the greater part of our lives! I agree, this boo-hoo, I have to isolate is an insult to those of us who had no choice because of the ongoing pandemic that just never ends.

4. I'm sick of doom and gloom, too. I'm sick of preventable situations continuing. I'm sick of all the divisions and politics infiltrating everything, but I'm even more sick of the type of censuring that is keeping us reacting instead of proactively discussing, advocating, and making affective change. When left to their own volition, a great percentage of the world will not abide by recommendations or science, so there needs to be laws and law enforcers to make this pandemic stop, and to prevent an ongoing endemic (including funding loss from it no longer being an emergency-based pandemic).

Hugs from:
BreakForTheLight, Discombobulated, rechu