View Single Post
rechu
Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
1,039 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 28, 2021 at 08:23 AM

I'm with the rest of you. Completely sick of it all. Everything feels like one step forward, two steps back. My husband is heading back to being very cautious. We were invited to an outdoor event yesterday and he didn't want to go.

We have been doing relatively well, but now I wonder what the new variant will bring. Here we went from closed borders to few limits on people coming in who are able to validate their vaccines. It happened too quickly in my opinion. December-February is high season for Patagonia. Reading travel groups/forums, there are a lot of people planning trips and I can imagine there will be a lot of opposition from the tourism industry if the government tries to reinstate travel restrictions.

@Discombobulated - The Chinese vaccines Sinovac and Sinopharm are inactivated viruses, which is traditional vaccine technology. Here we also bought some doses of another Chinese vaccine, Cansino, which is like J&J, one-dose adenovirus. I think the plan was to use them in less accessible rural areas in the south.

I am pretty sure that Sputnik is adenovirus too. The tricky thing with Sputnik is that dose 1 and 2 are different formulations. Argentina ordered a lot of Sputnik and got the first doses as planned. Then Russia had delays with sending them the second dose formulation so people couldn't finish their vaccine sequence. I read that the US donated vaccines to Argentina, Moderna, I think, and they were going to use those as a second dose. It seems like no one knows how effective that will be since Sputnik only has approval in a limited number of countries and no one had tested it in conjunction with Moderna.

Here one 30-year-old had a clot reaction to AZ, so they restricted its use to people 55 and older. When I went for my booster, they were checking peoples' ages to make sure that only that age group got AZ as a booster. If it is true it gives more T-cell protection, then it may turn out to be a good thing that it is being used in older populations that are more at risk. At least with the boosters, the doses aren't going to waste as they might have otherwise. When it was initially restricted to 55+, most people in that age group were already vaccinated.

Hugs from:
SprinkL3

Thanks for this!
Discombobulated, SprinkL3